Harold's Message Revealed!

Big Chris here again. I was finally able to figure out what Harold’s message said. It turns out that it was written in Macedonian. Here is the translation:

 

Friends,

I apologize for this post being handwritten. I recently learned about the terrible geopolitical crisis happening along the eastern Mediterranean. Since then, I can't face any computer without crying, but I still feel like I need to say something.

It is a travesty that the Republic of Macedonia is forced to change its name to the Republic of North Macedonia. That the Greek government decided to block an entire country from entering the EU because they didn't like its name is outrageous.

I find it funny that Greece claims that the use of the name "Macedonia" is somehow offensive to the inhabitants of the Greek part of the Macedonian region. By that logic, calling a country the United States of America is offensive to the rest of the Western Hemisphere.

For centuries, Slavic peoples lived in the region of Macedonia, including the part now ruled by Greece.  The only reasons why this area has a negligible Slavic population today are the policies of ethnic cleansing and forced Hellenization introduced by Ioannis Metaxas and other leaders in the early 20th century.

I am not afraid to say that I stand with the Macedonian people and support their right to name their country as they want.

In solidarity,

Harold Horseshoe

 

I would like to clarify that Harold does not read, speak, or understand Macedonian. However, he apparently can write it.

After reading the translation yesterday, I contacted Harold. He informed me that following our conversation on Saturday, he has been in a state of what he called “sympathetic demonstrational exile” and has taken occupancy in the shelter on Gile Mountain. Fortunately, he agreed to come back to White River Junction.

To further demonstrate his support for Macedonia, Harold and I have created this illustration titled Harold Horseface and Macedonia: Eternal Allies.


 

Comments